The adoption is final. Actually, final and irrevocable according to Judge Armstrong. It feels great. Kofi had a mild diaper disaster (up most of his back, if you must know) just before we went into the courtroom, so he wasn't wearing the very cute outfit I had picked out for him when we finally went before the judge. She (the judge) was terrific, clearly happy to being partaking in a joyous occasion. Even let me sit in her chair with Kofi. [I told her that it was every doctor's fantasy to sit in the judge's chair; she laughed.]
But I'm ready for another. I called my social worker this afternoon to set up an appointment to start the process for Kofi's little brother/sister (or maybe older brother/sister??). I think I'd like another baby, as hard as that was. Rob being with me during this has been such a godsend. I'm not sure how I could have done it alone (what was I thinking???).
Anyway, thanks to EVERYONE who has been supporting me during this and helping me out in countless ways from last minute babysitting to generously supplying me with car seats and swings to throwing showers to countless books, outfits, CDs and stuffed animals to all the moral support of even attempting this to all the love extended to my little bundle of Houston-born joy. You know who you are.
And, again, thanks to Marsha and Josh who were there in Houston at the beginning, well before Kofi's insane growth spurt, before he could do anything other than sleep and eat, pee and poop, before I realized how quick and deep love for a child can grow, before his first fall, before his first tooth, his first fever, and the pain he had teething that made me think I would do anything to take the pain away and made me so grateful for baby Tylenol and Motrin and perhaps gave me an inkling of another reason (other than the obvious) that parents try to protect their kids: it's horrible to see them in pain.
And a special thanks to my family who have been supportive in countless ways.

4 comments:
I'm so happy for you and for Kofi. I'm crying, but just a little.
yay! congrats :) goes without saying, but your last post's picture of Kofi is incredibly adorable. xo
Congratulations!!!
Another child? So soon? Really? Ah...I am now understanding more of why you were so supportive of Kevin and I having Elinor - despite the risks. You are a wonderful, wonderful man.
(But - as a former patient, I cringed a little at the thought of our wounded hand. That would not be a reassuring image ;)
Pk - adding you om Facebook so you can see pictures of your co-creation - now a stubborn, active, 2 and a half year old.
Do not stop your blog!! It is wonderful and can just be about the joys of parenting!!
Post a Comment