Friday, December 19, 2008

Birth Day

Ok, we're in labor. I can't type much because I'm using this computer at the nurse's station breaking several hospital policies and irking several nurses (please no comments on that!).

So far so good. Emily is comfortable, 4cm, drugged up.

My perspective on obstetrics in America is a bit bleaker this morning than it was last night (I would be happier if we were in a birth center in North Hadley), but I'm not all that surprised.

[They didn't start the induction until this morning, but insisted on keeping her on the monitor and giving her antibiotics every 4 hours all night (waking both of us up, of course). Meddlesome obstetrics as Sabrina says.]

And I had a dream last night in which I played Shirley MacLaine (not a stretch, some of you might think) to Emily's Debra Winger, complete with me running out to the nurse's station screaming that my birth mother needed pain medication. No one was happy with me in the dream.

But in reality, everyone's been super nice and bending over backwards to accomodate me and Emily.

I expect I'll have a birth anouncement by the early afternoon...

LOVE TO YOU ALL!

Back to my role as doula...

No comments: