Friday, December 19, 2008

EXHAUSTED

Yes, I'm tired, but flying. I just came from the hospital and am about to crash in my hotel for a few hours before picking Marsha up at the airport. I spent all day with Kofi, Kofi and Emily, Kofi and Donna (his nurse), Kofi and his spit-up (twice) (so THAT's why I need so many t-shirts for him!), and Kofi and his dirty diaper (men are so proud when they change a diaper) (even gay men).

It's a bit of a rinky-dink hospital and they aren't quite set up for adoptive families (no place for us to relax, shower, nap). Even the "Bonding Room" is tiny and uncomfortable and not even that private (it's essentially the foyer to the nursery that all parents pass through to get to the nursery). And they haven't quite figured out what to make of me, a single dad. Sadly, they seem to have lied to the obstetrician and told her that I was not married but that my girlfriend was coming tonight... 

Anyway, the drill from now on is:
Tomorrow, Kofi gets discharged and I will take him home with me to my hotel.
Sunday morning, Emily signs "relinquishment" papers which irrevocably terminate her parental rights.
Some time over the next 4-10 days, Texas and Massachusetts approve me as an adoptive father and I get to leave the state and head home.

And there is no sign from Emily that she is hesitating at all... Keep your fingers crossed...

6 comments:

lauren said...

He is BEAUTIFUL. And you look like a complete natural holding him, Dad!

Anonymous said...

He is gorgeous! You look perfect together- it brings tears to my eyes. And yes, both you and he will need lots of t-shirts for the spit up. If he is anything like my twins, you may want to put a sheet on your couch too!

Anonymous said...

more pictures!!! He is so gorgeous!
Get some sleep. Love Martha, Kim and Ty

Unknown said...

Mazel tov! He is gorgeous and I look forward to meeting him. Stephanie

Nicole said...

Kofi is just gorgeous! You look wonderful with him. This is thrilling. I can't wait to meet him.

Anonymous said...

Steven
I have been following the adventures in parenthood on this blog. It is thrilling- even for a jaded old adoption professional like me!
Carol is "at the ready" to get all in order with ICPC. You may be home beofre New Years yet!
Wishing you and beautiful Kofi peace and joy.
Betsy