Friday, December 26, 2008

First Pediatrician Visit

Well, socialized medicine is great. We went for our state mandated 1 week check-up today, paid for by the taxpayers (my son is on Medicaid!), and we had a great visit.  Clean bill of health. No respiratory infection (normal newborn congestion), left with 2 boxes of formula and a spare diaper. 

Of course, it's easy to be critical when you're on the other side of the stethoscope. We waited 45 minutes to see the doctor (we got there 10 minutes early). And not a single person in the office introduced themselves to me: not the secretary, not the nurse, and not the doctor. [I'll give the doctor some credit: she was thorough, kind, and reassuring; she asked questions about Kofi and the adoption and was totally supportive.]

We then went to Babies 'R' Us for a lesson in cribs and their accessories. Frankly, it's all overwhelming. I think I need to go back with an experienced parent.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do I qualify as an experienced parent?

And...I am sorry....LOL on being irritated with the medical profession! And you rolled your eyes at ME for liking you so much because you weren't one of "those doctors." Dude, 4 hours travel time...and a subway to avoid one of the medical community's "finest."

He is SO cute!!

Anonymous said...

I find it fascinating that the man with a medical degree (and a degree from YALE), who is also working on his MPH, is overwhlemed by a crib. :)

Dude - your son (I can practically sense the joy in you whenever I read those words) is used to a very tiny uterus. I don't know where he has been sleeping since birth, but he is unlikley to enjoy all the space a crib provides.

I would suggest a bassinet. These days - they rock, vibrate, spin, whirl and play music - with lights and a sound system rivaling that of BOSE. Ok - maybe not the last part.

All of our girls slept, wrapped up VERY tightly. Julia slept best in her carseat. Grace slept in the bassinet; and Ellie slept in her swing - set on "turbo." None of them got to the crib until they were 5-6 months.

Trust me when I say that at 2:00 am - you will do just about ANYTHING to get them to sleep.

lauren said...

He looks so alert! He must be absolutely brilliant.
Don't worry about the crib. If you're buying a new one, they're all safe. Just make sure it's easy to raise and lower the side. Otherwise all you have to worry about is whether or not it matches your decor.
xoxoxoxo
Lauren

Anonymous said...

I LOVE talking baby gear, so you can ask me anything- You should oncsider a lifetime crib- it changes from a crib to a toddler bed to a full sized bed. Ben's is beautiful and I am happy that I went with it. I could probably count on one hand the number of times I actually lowered the sides of the twins cribs, and with the lifetime crib the front is already slightly lower. See, I warned you, I LOVE talking baby gear.