My friend D________ says he thinks it unlikely that I will be able to keep up this blog for more than 2 months... I think that's quite optimistic. If I make it more than a couple days after the baby is born, I think that will be astounding.
So far everything is on track. Well, a few snags: my dossier seems to be missing a few FBI fingerprint cards (mine and my tenant's), but my social workers swear this won't delay things; a battle with my HR department (they've changed their policy on leaves: no paid leave for adoption; I told my boss I refused to worry about this and it was her problem to fix -- I basically told her she could give me a bonus, a raise, or find a replacement for me because I would be happy to find another institution that appreciates me more and that this was b---sh--t when every woman in my division has gotten 12 weeks of paid maternity leave up until now) (but really, I'm not stressed about it); and of course, it's the end of the semester and I have two final papers to write and can't really concentrate on Women's Health Policy or Genetics and Public Health Law (I even asked for an extension... I feel like a lazy undergraduate!)
In the meantime, I'm taking suggestions for names as I was all set for girls' names, but none of the boys' names seem to thrill me. The baby will be of African descent (mom from Kenya, dad from Nigeria), but I'm not sure I want an African name... although a certain ex of mine suggested Simba as a possibility...
Some of you may be wondering why I'm doing this blog when the adoption is still not a 100% sure thing. I guess it's a gamble, but I do have a good feeling about this and the writing makes it real for me and is cheaper than therapy.
I'm in NYC for the weekend, maybe my last completely fun-filled weekend for a while...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
What about Barack Hussein?
Dear Steven
I am so thrilled for you. Looking forward to welcome your child in this world in solidarity. Parenthood is a beautiful thing and as a gay man I want to be a parent and raise a bunch of kids and raise them as a wonderful humanbeings.
Hugs
Sarav
Post a Comment